Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Media Center

This post may not be of particular interest to my few and faithful readers, but I write it for the sake of people like me. I looked intently for information on using an HDTV as a monitor and for recommendations on hardware and software for a media giant pc. My set up is not complete, but I have learned quite a bit along the way and highly recommend combining tv and computer, especially if you live in a small space. In order to complete the set-up I need a Blu-Ray burner and a wireless keyboard mouse combo.

The first piece of equipment I intently researched was the tv. If you are thinking of a similar set-up, I only have a few pointers. HDTVs either have 720 or 1080 lines of resolution equating to total resolutions of 1280x720 and 1920x1080 respectively. Within each group, the size of your tv is not going to affect how much stuff you can fit on your monitor, it is only going to affect how big individual pixels are. Total resolution matters more than size and therefore insist that you don't even consider 720. Furthermore, I would go with a smaller 1080p as well. I purchased a 37" Insignia (LG) from Best Buy and could not be happier with it. At full resolution, my vista start button is still smaller than a dime. If I would have went with a bigger tv, it would only stretch things out.
As far as response time, brightness, and other technicalities go, I would do your own research. Depending on what you intend on doing with your tv/monitor and where it will be, your answers to those specs will be very different. The resolution allows for very comfortable viewing of two programs side by side. I have posted images below.
Here you can see how much you can fit at full resolution.
Here you can see the tv in the context of the room. I should have cleaned the desk.
If you have any question, please ask. I love to help.

2 comments:

  1. You really should link to this post on Becca's blog:

    http://insideoutbecca.blogspot.com/2009/04/becca-hi-techa.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited that you and Eric are doing all this stuff now so that when our family/entertainment room is ready to go, I'll have lots of experience and expertise to draw from.

    ReplyDelete