Saturday, May 30, 2009

Growing Hops

I planted 4 hop rhizomes a few weeks ago and as of Wednesday one of the plants was already taller than my fence. According to what I have read, hops grow as tall as 20 feet. So yesterday I set out to build something for them to climb high for cheap. My total price tag was well under $40. Selling for $2/oz. I should be able to recapture my costs pretty quickly.

In dreaming up my design I had to come up with a way to get the hops down every fall without a 16' step ladder. My final plan was to run a cable between to poles that could be lowered. The pictures below should show my plan better than I can explain it. I purchased 2 16' 2x4s, 50 ft. of 1/16" cable, two eye bolts, string, and a couple other miscellaneous parts. I originally planned on using pulleys but decided that they were unnecessary.















1 comment:

  1. Best of luck and keep us posted on how it works for you. You may need extra support side to side to keep the poles from being pulled in from the weight of the bines. This won't be a problem for a while though. Hops to you!

    ReplyDelete