Thursday, May 14, 2009

An Emotional Blow...

If a $100 bill fell out of my pocket, I would be just a little upset that I was out of some cash. But when my $75 batch of bees decided to run out on me it was a blow to my spirit. A few weeks ago--only days after I first received and installed my bees, I went to PA for a Saturday to become a trained leader of "The Truth Project". I spent the entire lonely drive home anticipating big changes in my hive. It was the first sunny day since the bees had been introduced to Canal Winchester, and I figured they would have made lots of progress turning my humble hive into a home.

Stephanie was out at her parents' house and I was supposed to drive straight out to join the family, but I couldn't resist a quick stop to see what I had missed! As I approached the hive I was surprised by the inactivity around the entrance but figured that the bees must all be out foraging! I carefully opened my observation window with incredible anxiety only to discover that my colony of 10,000 or so bees was down to 50... if that. My heart sunk. For the next few days I foolishly held onto a sliver of hope that they might come back or that the few remaining bees would raise a queen out of the handful of eggs in the comb they managed to build.

Stephanie was very understanding and even insists that I try again this year. I would really love to, but I am not sure if I have the time. I am not sure I could deal with another colony absconding. It was so sad.

Well, seeing as though I didn't even have the time to blog about the bees when I had them, I will post some videos and pictures of the whole ordeal. I hope you enjoy them.
This is a bee package. Within that screened box there is a can of sugar syrup, a queen protected in a cage, and roughly 10,000 (3 lbs. worth) bees clinging desperately to her.

Here is a short clip of me pouring the bees into the hive... I read that when they don't have a home to preotect they hardly ever sting. They were right!

Well, most of my bees didn't die, they just took off--presumably with the queen, but here are a few sad dead ones at the bottom.
This was all that was left when the bees absconded. Although extremely sad about them leaving I was pretty excited that they left me a keepsake. The strange thing is that they did not build to the top bars at all. Oh well, better luck next time I hope.
Here is a sweet macro shot I took. I believe that if you click on the image you may be able to get the full size version. It makes a pretty good desktop background. (apparently that doesn't work, so if you want the full size email, send me a message)
See those yellow lines down the center of the wood pieces? That is where the bees are supposed to build. They didn't like that idea.








1 comment:

  1. Yeah man that's awful. I feel for you. I had a mail-order bride in college that did that to me once, it's not easy.

    But I concur with Stephanie and I think you should try again, too.

    ReplyDelete