Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer Projects

I am not quite positive why it has been so long, but I am going to blame it on summer projects. I have a huge list of things I want to get done this summer, and it is never too early to start. I already have checked one off of the list and am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures. I NEVER remember to take before pictures! My north gutter has had problems since day one. The home inspector even told me that the gutter sags in the middle. He misspoke. The house sags in the middle. In fact, it sags 3 inches in the middle of a 30 foot span. Since the gutter was essentially an elevated pool, it would drip for a good 4 days after every rain. The drops were eating away at the pavers below, carving out the grout in my footer, and slowly eroding the substrate beneath the pavers. The continual moisture and lack of sunlight also make that side of the house prone to mossy walls. one fix would take care of everything.
I took the gutter down and tore off everything down to the rafters. A lack of drip edging had allowed lots of moisture to get back in there and rot away quite a bit. Andy came over the following day and we made pretty quick work of the whole deal. We had to get creative with the flashing but I am pretty happy with it all. It functions perfectly.

The only problem is that it looks kind of silly. My roof is low in the middle, and my gutter needs to be high in the middle. My brain plays a trick on me and makes me think that the gutter is super sloped, but the gutter only slopes a half an inch on both sides. The stupid roof is the problem. Anyway, it was exciting to accomplish and it was nice to scrub the siding and know that the moss won't be back in 6 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, what a unique circumstance your house is in! I'm glad that you got everything cleaned though. That ought to prevent further damage in the future. I think at some point, you might want to have your entire roof redone. To negate the need for gutters, it might be good to angle the entire roof and downspouts lower and away from the doors, so that the rain and snow just drips right off. Until then, regular maintenance and cleaning will definitely do your unique roof and house a lot of good.

    ReplyDelete