Monday, April 13, 2009

Bees!

Uh oh. I may be putting too many irons in the fire. I just spoke with a bar owner from Waldo Ohio, and agreed to send a $74 check in the mail today in order to secure a 3 lb package of bees that I will pick up on the 22nd. I was turned on to backyard beekeeping quite a few months ago, but it was too cold outside then. In the past few days, the blossoms on the trees around here have been begging for bees. I have to answer that call. Now, despite some advice, I plan on building a Top Bar Hive. It will be a much smaller investment, and is supposedly much more natural. I am pursuing this as more of an adventure and teaching opportunity than a way to get cheap honey, so efficiency is not a huge deal.

I am quite excited, but a little nervous that I have given myself a deadline... I need to have a hive built in just over a week! Say some prayers for me, as well as the bees that will be ours!

1 comment:

  1. My father is a beekeeper or an apiarist (from latin) and I've spent many summer days amongst the buzz so welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete