Saturday, July 11, 2009

Orange Peel

I am currently at the Denver Int'l airport awaiting our flight home from the FLY Convention. It was an incredible week and many came to know the Lord. On Thursday, our church took a couple of vans into RMNP to enjoy God's creation. On the way down the mountain Jonathan began to peel an orange. He was going to throw the peel out of the window while we drove by a overlook, but I told him to wait until it was some place where no one would see it. He tried to throw it over a wall, but didn't quite make it. A few hundred feet down the mountain, we heard sirens and pulled over when possible. After 30 minutes, a dyslexic park ranger newb issued Jonathan a ticket. We all thought it was pretty ridiculous, giving a 15 year old who had never been in a National Park before a ticket for one small orange peel. As we drove away, Jonathan began to examine the paper work and discovered that he owed $275! He snapped. That boy has never had $275 in his life.

The story really got interesting last night. While at the Convention, I got called into the office. Somehow, the park ranger figured out how to contact me through the YMCA. I was told that we had something of his that he needed. I tried calling, but the number was apparently wrong. Since then, he has left voicemails on both Jonathan and my cell phones. It sounds like he forgot to keep his copy of the ticket. So, what do we do with this? I am committed to advocating for Jonathan through this whole ordeal even if it means trying to raise some money. My question is this: Do you think it is possible to use the ranger's mistake as an opportunity to get out of the fine? What is he going to do? Ask us to mail it to him? Would we (Jonathan) be obligated to comply? What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. What about Jonathon and what this experience will teach him about integrity? Is it ok to "get out of the fine" on a technicality? He littered in a National Park and was caught. I say the right thing is to help him come up with the money. I'll bet he thinks twice about throwing an orange peel out of the window again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advocate on the side of humility. While I agree the whole ticket seems ridiculous, owning up to our mistakes graciously and with humility is a difficult, yet profitable lesson. One I'm still working on learning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOD is giving him an out! rip that ticket up dude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's excessive. I think a warning would have been far more appropriate in this circumstance, with a small lecture on how organic material could compromise the park ecology, etc. $275 is simply too much in my opinion.

    But with that in mind, I would call the ranger that you have the ticket and graciously inquire (which doesn't mean trying to prove your point that the fine is excessive) if there is any way you can get the ticket reversed or reduced. E specially if you (Jonathan's chaperone) can vouch for Jonathan's genuine regret for doing something he shouldn't have. Also, I think you should ask if the ticket could be issued to you since it sounds like you advised Jonathan incorrectly to throw the orange peel out the window in the first place.

    Then, just trust God's will in the outcome; considering that the park ranger is just a regular guy doing his job (albeit somewhat sloppily) that so far you have offered absolutely zero grace, and that this could be a good time to display Christlike humility and candid honesty. And if the fine stands, you should pay the ticket.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, who told the child, "wait for a place where no one can see it"???? I think you should pay the ticket. Next, you have a discussion with the kids about doing the right thing whether or not anyone can SEE you. How many of us are content to continue in sinful habits as long as they don't get us in trouble??? All the while, we aren't even considering that it is GOD whom our sin offends!

    ps)I agree that you should try to get the fee reduced. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Poor Jonathan! Mixed feelings. Part of me wants to laugh at him, part of me feels sorry.

    I don't think Jon should have to mail the ticket or whatever if the officer messed up. That was his fault.

    -Perry
    Don't text me this time. xD

    ReplyDelete